Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Finishing summer vacation with a bang and a whimper

So we went to the east coast (after a dull but near-aneurysm inducing and already discussed snafu). We had a tremendous time. We bounced around (Philadelphia, the Jersey Sho-ah, Block Island, Boston). We saw the USS Constitution sail for the last time until 2010 (it was luck, not planning, and although I am not ship-crazed, it was a glorious sight). The kids discovered the joys of boogie-boarding at the Jersey Shore (and simultaneously discovered the experience of completely eating it, and being washing machined), swam in Walden Pond, learned what poison ivy is and were suitably freaked out by the existence of such a spiteful bit of flora (but fortunately learned about it rather than acquired it). We watched a real musket get fired, had all sorts of luck with the weather, returned to Seattle, had a birthday party for my boy that included a home-made treasure map (the treasure chest? A cheap plastic Tupperware knock-off from Walgreens) and a dozen keyed-up 7-year-olds (who we then supplied with sugar in the form of cupcakes) and then both kids started school today, which was Curly’s first day of kindergarten (I managed not to cry, mostly by silently chanting “I will not cry”). Soccer for both kids is starting up, ice hockey is starting up for the kids and for me, PTA events are sprouting like not entirely benign growths, and I need to go obtain my regular (as opposed to my temporary) restraining order at a hearing on Friday.

Other than that, things have been pretty quiet.

In all the rushing here and there and birthday party planning and this and that, food has largely taken a back seat. So I was pleased as could be when this afternoon, with a little time for lunch with my mom, we scooted out to try Skillet, a lunch trailer in an Airstream trailer, parked near Denny Park. I’d heard a little about it and was very, very curious. They’re still new, and working things out, and that shows in some ways, but I think they have promise, and they're already really, really good. I had a chop salad, which was a good example of chop salad. But I sort of ordered something that I realized, once the order came out, that I hadn't really been in the mood for to start with. That's obviously not a glitch of Skillet's. That's just me, being lame. Anyway. My mom had a fried chicken sandwich topped with a dilled fennel apple slaw, and it was fantastic. We tried their take on poutine and couldn't decide if they'd maybe tried to take poutine too upscale or if we just weren't poutine people. Skillet is definitely worth a visit. I won't promise it'll be the meal of a lifetime, but the upscale food truck idea is appealing, and the food is reasonably priced and quite good. I have no pictures of Skillet, but I do have a picture of... a pretty New England stone wall. And my boy wandering down a meadow path on Block Island.

2 comments:

chris said...

Poutine is scary. Maybe not outside of Montreal? Otherwise, scary.

Meg said...

I want to believe that it's scary in a good way. On paper, it's a triple-crown winner of artery-hardening goodness: squeaky cheese (that's cheese curds to the rest of you), fries and gravy. But in practice, it doesn't seem to quite work. And in summer, too... I think you need to have just been skating outside, on a pond, for it to be just right. Of course, after skating outside, I'm usually willing to eat hot cardboard with salt on it, so maybe that's not the best standard to apply.