Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Everything Annoys Me

One of my sisters recently (and tactfully) pointed out that there is very little that doesn’t annoy me. Uh, sis? Whose birthday was Monday? Have you learned about timing? Don’t you want a nice present instead of… these? And thanks must be given to The Accidental Housewife for pointing out an item that, in my family, works marvelously as a passive-aggressive gift threat, because there’s no gift like a passive-aggressive gift.

Rachel Ray, who (in theory) I admire for working her tail off, gets on my nerves. People who insist that home-made stock is a “snap” and that I should ditch my (somewhat scary) pizza rolls in order to keep little frozen cubes of it in my quite small freezer annoy me (let me modify that a little. They annoy me when they comment judgementally on my lack of use of home-made stock as substandard, sad and really, one of the signs of The Way The World Has Gone Downhill). People who snark nastily about adjusting your life to accommodate children (you know, the ones that you chose to have) as lowering standards or somehow catering unreasonably to people who are “temporarily” in your home (seriously, would you tell someone who signed an 18 year lease that you wouldn’t repaint their room because they were only temporary?) get on my nerves. Seattle drivers? Yup. Get on my nerves (seriously, stopping on the freeway to let someone merge is just as idiotic as refusing to let them in at all. There’s a HUGE middle ground, folks). Salesladies who don’t come out and tell you something looks awful and instead insist that even things that make you look like you have hepatitis look “Fantastic! It’s you!” That’s right. They get on my nerves. People who, at Thanksgiving (or other holidays) go into a tizzy if every last dish that has been on the table Every Year In Their Family isn’t on the table instead of saying “Thank you” and (or. Or would work, too.) asking if it’s okay if they bring one dish that’s important to them? Yes, they do. They make me crazy. My car deciding that really, it didn’t feel like starting this morning and I should spend time dealing with towing and arranging for service in between running up to the elementary school to help in class? Yes. Annoyed the hell out of me.

I am apparently quite highly strung.

Having racked up very little sleep over the weekend due to Curly's flu probably has nothing to do with my current snarl-y mood. Nope. Toootally unrelated.

10 comments:

AJD said...

For the record, the chocolate (& the single-malt scotch) were much more appreciated than the revolting mommy cards. Those would have gotten your children REALLY LOUD "musical" instruments for Xmas this year.

Meg said...

Oooh. The revenge present, in return for the passive-aggresive gift. I didn't think about that. Hmmm. I'm glad you liked the chocolate and the booze.

claudia said...

oh i lovea a good family fight!

(honey! grab the popcorn!...)

chris said...

Well me too.

Today I was appalled when I noticed that Rachel Ray is coming to my local bookstore. On my birthday, no less. I should bow out of parenting that day just to heckle her.

And I have a whole post brewing about food snobbery (re: home made stock, etc). As soon as I get my head together enough to write it.

Meg said...

Claudia: and this is just us JOKING about fighting. I actually sent her a real present (scotch & nice chocolate, never a bad choice, especially when SOME people wouldn't give ANY ideas about what they wanted). When we skate together, she gives me the old wood shampoo during warm-up sometimes(affectionately. At least I hope it's affectionate), too.

Chris: I think you're allowed to heckle freely when it's your birthday. The bouncers might not feel the same way, but bouncers are notoriously lacking in understanding.

Anonymous said...

Let's stick to the facts here. ELDEST (as in she is really, really old) sister has ALREADY given the really loud "musical" instruments and ABSOLUTELY annoying loud toys (remember the bumble ball old lady???) And done so WITH GLEE. And malice aforethought for that matter....

Meg said...

Aren't you the one who gave the youngest nephews sword WITH sound effects for their birthdays, Fact-frau? Methinks you might protest too much. Nice try doing indignant, though.

AJD said...

Besides, the bumble was merely a public service announcement gift - you know, to the effect of "it's not nice to pick on the elderly if you're going to have children younger than theirs that can be bestowed with annoying &/or loud gifts". Note - public service announcement, NOT a guide for how to continue annoying your younger brother via his children (although I'm not throwing stones TOO hard here, as a certain noise-making dragon costume could come back to haunt me ;-) ).

Anonymous said...

Oh please. What in the world is the POINT of having a younger brother if you can't send his children truly evil gifts that you are really glad no one ever gave your sons??? Besides, the sound-effects swords are cool. At least as long as they aren't in my house....

Philly Sis said...

This applies to little sisters too!