Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Recipe: Modified Mojo de Ajo


1 head of garlic, cloves peeled and diced (if you have a food processor, this is a good time for it)
¼-1/2 cup olive oil (in a small saucepan, it should cover the garlic)
Salt
juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon (I used half here, but often use 1).
optional: 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary


Put the garlic, oil and a pinch of salt into a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a loooow simmer, and then turn the heat down so that it is barely simmering. Cook for 30-45 minutes (if the heat is really low, forgetting by a little won’t completely kill this. I can say that from experience), until garlic is a pale gold.
Add the lemon juice (only you know exactly how much you prefer, but don't overdo it), and, if using, the rosemary. Let it simmer another 5-10 minutes.

This keeps for about two weeks; it’s effectively garlic preserved in oil, so it might keep longer, but don't (seriously. don't.) look to me for accurate advice on preserving stuff. This mojo de ajo is lovely over tagliata, but my favorite use for it is for shrimp with Spanish chorizo, using the oil from the mojo de ajo to cook the shrimp and chorizo in before spooning a couple of garlicky spoonfuls over the whole thing at the end, with a little shower of chopped parsley.

4 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

love this garlic pic!

Meg said...

Thanks. For all the grey, I will say one thing I love (for pictures, anyway) about Seattle winters is the liquid, silver quality of light.

Katy said...

great picture! for what it's worth garlic-infused oil, if you infuse your own, stays good for about a month. i would think this recipe would be the same!

Meg said...

Katy- Thanks. That's a much calmer rule of thumb than I can give. I expect you're right; I often keep it for around 3 weeks. But... rational or not, advising anyone on the point at which something might give them food poisoning makes me deeply, deeply nervous.