Friday, March 14, 2008

Blog Recipe Filching: Everybody Likes Sandwiches

The summary? I saw it. I filched it. I ate it. It was good. You might want to take a look and give it a go yourself. When I saw this earlier this week, I thought it would be a terrific dish for a raw, damp night. Which is what tonight was in Seattle. I walked the kids and a couple of their buddies home from school in 45 degree rain, thick enough for all of us to be cold and wet by the time we finished the three block walk. Blech (they were much cheered, though, by hot chocolate and a cookie). The sky was a shaggy grey blanket, spitting rain. It made me want to go back to sleep. All day.

Anyway, it is, indeed, a wonderful dish for a nasty night and is pretty flexible, to boot. I substituted shallots for leeks, since I had shallots and didn’t feel like buying leeks. I used some fresh shitake mushrooms and dried chanterelles which an un-named someone (who might currently stump around our house) bought by mistake. I used jasmine rice, since it’s what I usually have on hand. And chicken broth. Gimp-a-licious is not wild about tofu. Or mushrooms. Or spicy food. And yes, I made something that features all three. I'm a real people pleaser that way. But he liked it quite a bit (I sort of thought he would, actually). And I found it just happy-making. Mmm. So stank you very much.

4 comments:

cook eat FRET said...

i adore you
i do
i wish we lived closer
we could be friends
i could know your kids
they could call me aunt claudia
we could cook together
have dinner parties
etc
etc
etc

but even in our virtual friendship = i am thinking this dish should never be mentioned again. for real.

cause i no likee the look or sound of it... nope. not even a little.

Meg said...

Claudia- you almost made me snort my coffee out through my nose. What can I say? I like me some tofu and mushrooms. It does, indeed, sound a little, well, like the sort of thing you would find in a crappy hippy restaurant that also serves a really bad lentil soup. And yet? It was good.

cook eat FRET said...

channeling my inner teenager, i say - WHATEVER...

Meg said...

hee.