Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Campari and Codeine

Campari is not for everyone. I happen to love it, but those who don't may have a point in saying that it tastes like cough syrup. The thing is, I get nasty chest infections on a regular basis, and have developed, over the years, a strange fondness for cough syrup. I mean, sure, it’s nasty. But that nasty taste means I’m just a short way from a sweet respite from chest-rattling, rib-aching coughs (at least when it’s an effective cough syrup). And it’s hard for me not to like something that gives that kind of relief.

I happen to think Campari tastes better than most cough syrups (I know, what an endorsement). And it’s so pretty. I do make my drink selection on more attributes than simply "pretty." I like Campari’s bitter, layered taste, and the scent, but I also love that transparent, radiant scarlet.



Anyway, no Campari for me right now. I've been having cough syrup, but it’s the good stuff. Because I have diva lungs that demand attention (and in a huff about something, they managed to cook up a chest infection just in time for the end of the school year), the doctor is nice enough to write me a prescription for cough syrup with codeine, and codeine, as well as being a cough suppresant, is, as an opiate (opioid?), a great painkiller. So last night instead of hacking the night away, wishing my diva lungs would let me sleep, I knocked back a tot of that stuff and passed out. I may not be better this morning, but a decent night of sleep helps.*

*Mom, I’m fine. Really.

10 comments:

Your Husband said...

Wait... didn't you tell me that *I* was weird for liking cough syrup? Looks like we have a common interest for the next date night...

Also, the poppies look great. Why no commentary on them (other than the inferred opiate connection)? Can they at least get a tag of their own?

homebody at heart said...

I tried Campari because it sounds just so exotic and sophisticated. But when I describe it I usually say it tastes like a medicinal dewormer. Yech!

Meg said...

Stumpy- thanks on the poppies. I was thinking of scouring the garden store for more-that way I can do some planting of something while waiting for the weather to warm up enough for tomatoes and basil. Plus, I like to buy poppies in bloom, because I like the deepest scarlet color best.

Homebody- it's definitely not a crowd-pleaser of a drink. I gotta admit, it does have a medicinal tang to it, right down to its syrupy viscosity. And it's pretty bitter (adding to the feeling that one could well be taking medicine). I have a fondness for bitter tastes, though. and cough syrup.

SteamyKitchen said...

Get better soon!!
i can just see it now...shots of cough syrup with a campari chaser

bleeding espresso said...

Mmm I like Campari too. With gin especially :)

Hope you're feeling better!

Meg said...

Jaden- THAT would be a cocktail that packs a punch. Just with a teaspoon of codeine, I am... decidedly not fit to operate heavy machinery.

Michelle- Isn't it great? It's one of those drinks that I can clearly see the reasons it puts so many people off, but I think it's scrumptious. On a night out, Negronis are my cocktail of choice.

chris said...

Beautiful photos. And I have to admit, I've never tried it, but it's pretty to look at.

Meg said...

Chris- thanks on the photos. It IS pretty stuff, but I suspect you have to like bitter foods to enjoy it. If you do, though- SO good.

Anonymous said...

Cough med, you should try Fernet-Branca.

I think Campari tastes good, a least when mix with gin and vermouth.

Meg said...

Anon- Negronis are fantastic, aren't they?
I'll consider giving Fernet-Branca a go, but... it's less appealing to me, and I don't know why. Campari's syrupy thickness doesn't bug me. Maybe because it's so pretty? And nobody is ever going to call Fernet Branca pretty. Well, maybe lots of people will, but I'm not one of them.