Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fashion Felonies: The Fluffy Shoe

I hate to admit it, but I am seriously considering the merits of buying myself a pair of Uggs. They’re almost unbearably twee. They lack taste, interest and style— unless you abide by a style which includes wearing sweats with words written across the ass. Sexy, sleek and chic are not words that would be applied to fluffy slipper-boot... things. Ever.

How-evah.

They, um... make some sense.

Particularly, say, if you’re eyeing an autumn and winter of blearily sitting in ice rinks while your children skate around, whacking at a puck with their sticks. My son’s regular ice time? Starts at 7 a.m. On Sunday mornings, which means we're supposed to be in the locker room by 6:30. A.M. On Sundays. Half the coffee shops in Seattle won’t even be open by the time we have to be at the cold, cold rink. Shoes that are as close to slippers as is humanly possible are looking puurrrrty good. And Uggs are insanely comfortable, which is often a criteria I use for dresses; if I am not really, really comfortable, I don't buy it. Three hours into an evening, I like to still feel comfortable. But it's never really been a rule of thumb that I've applied to shoes, and when your preferred shoe expense runs to things like these:
which are very comfortable (well... as far as heels go), but for pure, delicious comfort on a December morning, nobody (excepting Anna Wintour and a couple other socialite/celebrity types) will choose them over Uggs.

Yeah.

Suddenly, Uggs are looking better than Manolos or Jimmy Choos.

I cannot believe I just typed that.

Here’s hoping it’s the codeine talking.


(the Uggs pictured belong to Curly. She and my niece are both Ugg lovers, which I am sympathetic to insofar as they are toasty and comfy. When she and I were at the rink early Saturday morning, I found myself wishing that her foot size was closer than mine so that I could borrow her Uggs)

4 comments:

Linda Lou said...

I HAVE HAD UGGS FOR OVER 10 YEARS, THEY ARE AWESOME, EVEN HERE IN SAN DIEGO IT DOES GET COLD AND YOU DON'T NEED SOCKS, BUY THEM YOU WILL LOVE THEM-OF COURSE THE PHOTOS OF THOSE BEAUTIFUL HEELS ARE LOVELY TOO....

cook eat FRET said...

i rock the uggs
i even have tall leather ones
no socks - just cushy goodness

they are wonderful. of course they used to be made better early on when the aussies were doing them - now it's all china...

SteamyKitchen said...

oh my goodness HONEY. that codeine must be having some massive effects on you!!! :-)

Meg said...

Linda Lou- I'm pretty sure you're right. It's just... well, when you've been snotty and snarky about something so long, it's hard to give that up.

Claudia- The cushy goodness is pretty alluring. Did I mention 7am on Sunday mornings? In an ice rink? Cushy goodness sounds really good.

Jaden- I've stopped taking it, but yes, I am completely loaded whenever I have to take it, which is fortunately under adult supervision (I don't count) and for the first couple days of antibiotics.