Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Recipe: Moroccan-ish Carrot Salad

I make this in pretty miniscule amounts. I like carrot salad, but a little goes a long way. Carrot salad is delicious, but generally best as part of a salad assortment. There are decided exceptions to this rule, but I think I digress plenty already without detailing the exceptions. This should make about 4 small-ish portions.

3 carrots, peeled and sliced into very thin matchsticks. You could try grating them, but I don't think that would be as good. If you are not prone to kitchen accidents, as I am, a mandolin might be a good choice.

1 small shallot, minced

1 clove garlic, minced

juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon

salt

ras el hanout, about half a teaspoon. I used a little more than that, but... taste and correct (it's a spice mix. If you want The Very Best Possible Flavor, you should toast your own spices, grind them and mix them. I buy it in a jar, ready to go. mustaphas.com sells it; since they're a Seattle firm, it's available in shops all over town here. Their argan oil is delicious. But expensive.).

cumin, just a pinch

pinch of ground hot pepper (I used piment d'espelette because it's what I had. Plain cayenne or some-such would work too)


Mix the carrots, shallot, garlic, salt, ras el hanout, cumin and lemon juice together. Let them sit for a while (I let mine sit while the kids and I walked to the store to pick up the salmon and I nagged them to pick up their stuff when we got back. 20 minutes walking + 20 minutes nagging= 40 minutes of sitting around)


Add olive oil to coat lightly. Toss, taste and correct seasoning.


No comments: