Thursday, August 27, 2009

It Goes to 11

I’m not a fan of This Is Spinal Tap. I’ve always felt like kind of a loser for not being avidly, gleefully into it, but there it is.

Still, it bubbled unstoppably to the top of my mind in a recent review of Curly’s initial blood tests for macadamia nuts (because, of course, isn’t that when everyone thinks of doofy mockumentaries?). I could see the little scale at the top, which basically said if you score less than .5, you could have a teensy sensitivity. Less than three, you’re allergic. More than 3, you’ll be taking an epi-pen prescription home with you (obviously, you should not take this as any kind of serious medical consideration- the accompanying explanation was significantly more complicated and the little scale was clearly designed to allow laypeople to try and get their heads around the whole thing). And Curly?

Well, she wasn’t 11.

She was 12.

And my thought bubble, complete with the ridiculous British accent: “But these go to 11.”

2 comments:

sarah said...

If it makes you feel better I am not a fan of This is Spinal Tap either, but I also didn't know that people actually were fans.

Meg said...

Sarah- If you ask a guy in his late 30s or older what he thinks of Spinal Tap, he WILL do the Nigel voice. And he probably has a picture of himself, at 13, with braces, a mullet and some kind of black t-shirt with the name of a pointily-lettered hard rock band (AC/DC, et al).
But it's nice to know I'm not the only one who's not a fan.