Monday, December 21, 2009

Hockey Kebabs and Other Inedible Holiday Appetizers

What, you ask, is a hockey kebab? Well... I am. If that sounds a little painful (think person, skewered on hockey stick), it was. The time I got butt-ended and it left a nasty bloody mark on my ribs was positively comfy by comparison. Owza.

On the embarrassing minus side: it was my own damn fault. I went for the puck along the boards at an awkward angle and had the tooooooo laaaate thought of “this is really not a safe way to be holding my stick just here” and then: Ka-bam! Ke-pow! Ow. Ow. Ow.

On the plus side, it looks like my ribs will have a nice, festive red and green (and black and blue) bit of d├ęcor for Christmas. And this may sound Pollyanna-ish, but I am really glad they’re bruised, not cracked.

So. Some people have already suggested that being accident-prone and playing hockey might not really be the most intelligent pairing ever. I would answer 1) being accident prone and playing a sport in which you are COVERED in protective equipment is a pretty good idea, and 2) Come on. You know if I took up knitting, I would be the victim of some kind of tragic and freakish knitting accident.

No comments: