Sunday, February 7, 2010

Gordie Howe Hat Trick, Indeed

If you have ever seen me, you would snort, right away, at the idea of me getting a Gordie Howe hat trick. I am not usually one to so much as trash talk. I am bigger than a Chihuahua, but even so, on ice, I'm about the human equivalent of one. For me to throw down gloves against another player... well, it would be simpler to attach a "please kick my ass" sign to the back of my jersey.

Stumpy doesn't usually make my hockey games, since he supports my hockey habit by doing this crazy thing called watching the kids. But last night, he came out to watch my game (and brought me a cold beer. In the locker room. Immediately after the game. That, with hockey players, is gwounds for Twoooooo Wuuuvvvv.).

Except he called the babysitting (hi, Mom and Dad!), during the game, to let them know that I had racked up a Gordie Howe hat trick. I am no Gordie Howe.

I'll just say: it wasn't a fight. It was just, erm... "roughing." And turns out, holy smokes, that ref sure could put her hand up quick.

5 comments:

Your Husband said...

I guess you can't really fight if the other player is already paralyzed from the hit. :-D

Seriously, I haven't seen anyone scythed down so suddenly since Scatman Crothers in The Shining.

Anonymous said...

I believe you.
Mostly 'cuz I expect the same support should I come back from St. Louis (two double-headers with a short bench. OMG) with a reputation, I'll expect the same in return.
'Sides, it doesn't count if you didn't actually drop the gloves. ;-).
P.S. And you're definately right about the hockey player definition of true love. Although I am happy to settle for my spouse not signing up to referee my games...

Meg said...

husband- it's good you hit the twwoooo wuuvv requirments, Mr. Smacktalker. I didn't hit her THAT hard. She said she could move her extremities again by the next day.

Anita- I'm of the opinion that tournament penalty minutes don't count as much as regular penalty minutes (unless you're playing in a no-blood, no-foul Canadian tournament, in which case getting a penalty is like getting a speeding ticket in Montana, and people's eyes will widen as they gasp "what did you DO?"). In a tournament, sometimes a minor buys you a couple minutes of rest.

Bee said...

A little bit off-topic, although it does relate to hockey: Did you ever get the Uggs?

Because I bought some in eastern New York last February and they have barely been off of my feet since winter settled in.

p.s. The pink feather wreath is hilarious. I've definitely never seen one of those.

Meg said...

Bee- I haven't gotten the Uggs yet. I'm not ruling it out, though. This winter's been a warm one in Seattle. Next year, though... you never know. I'm glad you thought the wreath was funny.